Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

General grabber 315 / 75/ 16 lt

Hi All - put on a set of General Grabber red letters 315 / 75 / 16 LT last week in preparation for our Simpson Desert trip.

Motivations being.

wider profile to give improved stability and stay on top performance in sand
    Heavier side wall construction to theoretically provide better puncture prevention
    7 ply to provide improved puncture on the tread face
    More agressive tread pattern to cover off any wet situations I experience in VIC high country later on.
    35's to fill the wheel arches and better match the gear ratios I have fitted - finds and holds the plane better for cruising speeds.
    Look good!
    Proven comp extreme offroad rally tire so they should handle anything I throw at them easily.
    DSC_4139_zps0e85c86d.jpgDSC_4122_zpsdd1bb419.jpg

So far they are slightly noisier than the pro comp AT but not as noisy as the Mickey T 4 ribs.
    Handling is great - grip is great on wet and dry bitumen.
    measured noise in cab at 80kms on black top in traffic at between 69 to 73 dBA

Here are some pics
    DSC_4182_zps3f68da20.jpgDSC_4164_zps08dc35b1.jpgDSC_4159_zpseca73289.jpgDSC_4120_zpsbbb6c86e.jpgDSC_4152_zps181fbd01.jpgIMG_1167_zps86a4cd86.jpgDSC_4119_zps9b5fbfd0.jpgDSC_4134_zps2810f342.jpg
    Last edited by FJWally; 19-06-2013 at 17:16.
    Gettin Dirty with the Mexicans!!!!

Vendor - Monster Rides Hilux Max's Avatar
    dont know how good they are going to be in the Vic High Country when wet considering they were designed for dry desert racing.

keep us updated with their performance. I think they are a good all terrain tyre but I wouldnt hold my breath for them to perform like a god muddy does.
    Monster Rides Hilux, 3" Lift, 1" bodylift, 35's, Twin Locked, Regeared, Big Braked, Crawl Box'd, Comp Tray'd....Fully Sick!

19 Birkett Place South Geelong 0352211371 3220
    Max,

they will be better than the AT he had, without going to a full noisy mud tyre, I think is what he means, so more of an all rounder, that isn't as noisy as some of the other 4 rib style AT's out there, and should wear ok while being stronger in the tread and sidewall section.
    013 FJC Cement, LPG, Warn8724,Exp One front bars, T3Brake Upgrade, 122 lt fuel tank, 35's, Method NV's, 4.56 diffs, 3 batteries, HID's, LED's, 60lt Engel, 3" Zorst, air box mod, FJ storage,
    On facebook then search AutoCraft

They look great!

As Darren says I'm not looking for a mud tyre - the few puddles I find will not trouble these one bit I would think - they do have a rep for being quite sticky on wet tracks though with the newer extreme traction technology compound they use - ie some rocky tracks as well as being a ball tearer on dirt and decent on black top which is a fair chunk of my driving.
    Durability may be a concern but I never have run my tyres to the death rather to the point I feel they are effective so I dont expect 80k from them either.
    So Nitto's they are not - I would think every bit as good as 4 ribs in wet and considerably better in dry.
    Time will tell.

JD
    Look purdy!!

We have close to 6000k's to do in our Simpson trip (in less than 3 weeks) so will take some close ups and do a review when finished.
    I'm hoping that prompts others to do the same - when they put on new gear - post up there reasons for - whatever they may be and let everyone know how they perform and if that was to their satisfaction as we all have different reasons and expectations.
    DSC_4163_zpsbd28904c.jpg

Size looks great. Looks chunky.

Had a couple issues fitting these as they are slightly larger than the MTR equivalent so the BMC needs to be done fairly precisely and alignment needs to also be done with great care- first guys that did electronic alignment had no clue but thankfully Darren's guys down in Geelong sorted it today - handles v-well now so I'm good to go for simmo.
    One thing that has to go is the washer bottle - just touches but 8 can see that getting flogged on the rough desert roads so it has to be relocated which is a good thing really as it,s in a dumb spot anyway - the search begins for a decent size one!
    Running pretty well for such a chunky tyre - great grip on blacktop tread looks like it's wearing evenly even with me throwing it around in corners to test everything is staying where it should.
    More to come.

1st Gear High
    Quote Originally Posted by FJWally View Post
    Had a couple issues fitting these as they are slightly larger than the MTR equivalent so the BMC needs to be done fairly precisely and alignment needs to also be done with great care- first guys that did electronic alignment had no clue but thankfully Darren's guys down in Geelong sorted it today - handles v-well now so I'm good to go for simmo.
    One thing that has to go is the washer bottle - just touches but 8 can see that getting flogged on the rough desert roads so it has to be relocated which is a good thing really as it,s in a dumb spot anyway - the search begins for a decent size one!
    Running pretty well for such a chunky tyre - great grip on blacktop tread looks like it's wearing evenly even with me throwing it around in corners to test everything is staying where it should.
    More to come.
    What is the actual speed rating ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast